Saturday, January 21, 2012

Skin or Heart? Which will you harden?

Wayne and I were chatting about a difficult work situation and the ease with which he now is able to handle such customer problems. I noted he has thicker skin by far than when he first began as a professional. The undertow of the words leaving my mouth seemed to pull in a more important thought -- the thickening of his skin has protected his heart from hardening.

Once observed, it seems rather obvious: in life, if we do not develop thick skins to protect our soft hearts, we are in danger of our hearts, then, hardening to protect themselves.

Perhaps this thought will help change my response to hardhearted behavior, thinking of how the hardness I witness may have been formed through unprotected vulnerability, rather than intentionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment