Sunday, March 28, 2021

Election integrity - Tammy Baldwin letter

 How does HR1 encourage voter confidence in election outcomes -- an issue of critical importance -- when it prohibits election officials from reviewing and removing ineligible voters from the rolls?


Reply received:

Senator Tammy Baldwin do_not_reply@baldwin.senate.gov

9:02 AM (28 minutes ago)
to me
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Your views are important to my work in the United States Senate on behalf of the people of Wisconsin and I appreciate you taking the time to contact me. I will be sending you a full response to the issues you shared with me, but in the meantime, I want to let you know that I received your message and value your thoughts.

If you have written regarding a problem you are having with a federal agency, a caseworker in one of my Wisconsin offices will be contacting you shortly. To expedite direct contact with a caseworker you may also call my Madison office (608-264-5338) for assistance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Tammy Baldwin
Your U.S. Senator

Reply:

Dear Ms. Youngblood:

Thank you for contacting me about Congress’s response to the ongoing public health and economic crisis. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected nearly every aspect of Americans’ lives and has created tremendous financial pressure for millions of businesses, workers and families. More than a year later, we have not beaten this pandemic and people are still struggling. I have called for bold congressional action to meet this historic moment because there is a real risk if we do too little.

In March of 2021, I helped pass the American Rescue Plan Act (Public Law 117-2), which has now been signed into law by President Biden. This legislation provides bold and much-needed assistance to help us get past this public health crisis and move our economy forward, and has earned broad, bipartisan support from the American people. Among its many important investments, this legislation funds a national vaccination program; delivers direct payments and expanded tax credits for workers and families; extends unemployment insurance; offers aid to struggling small businesses; provides funding to help Wisconsin schools reopen; and directs emergency resources to our state and local governments. It also lowers or eliminates health insurance premiums for millions of Americans and addresses systemic inequities through investments in underserved communities and communities of color. 

I recognize your concerns about federal spending, especially during this uncertain time. I have long favored a balanced approach to deficit reduction that combines cutting tax expenditures and closing tax loopholes with smart, responsible spending cuts.  I support making millionaires, billionaires and corporations that outsource jobs to other countries pay their fair share—rather than placing the burden on Wisconsin’s middle class. For example, I supported legislation to repeal tax changes in the CARES Act that will cost taxpayers an estimated $250 billion—more than what was given to hospitals or state and local governments in the bill. These tax changes will allow a wealthy few to receive an average benefit of $1.6 million, dwarfing the stimulus payments provided to working Americans. You can read more about that legislation to repeal the expensive tax giveaway here: https://www.baldwin.senate.gov/press-releases/repeal-major-tax-breaks-for-wealthy-in-cares-act.  

As we move forward, please know that I am committed to taking the actions that are necessary to recover from this pandemic and rebuild the economy better than before. Americans need help and they need it now.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office.  It is important for me to hear from the people of Wisconsin on the issues, thoughts and concerns that matter most to you. If I can be of further assistance, please visit my website at www.baldwin.senate.gov for information on how to contact my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment